According to the QCAA Syllabus glossary, a Claim is an assertion made without any accompanying evidence to support it.
YOUR CLAIM: Biofuels are better for the environment than fossil fuels
: Biofuels are those fuels that contain energy and are derived from plants or biomass. They include Ethanol (an alcohol), Biodiesel (an oil) and Biojetfuels. First-generation Ethanol feedstock includes food crops (like corn), crop waste (sugar cane), while second-generation feedstock, which is more sustainable, includes algae and lignocellulosics (woody plants and grasses). Biodiesel feedstock includes vegetable oils and animal fats, and more recently, more sustainable waste fats, oils and greases.
Burning fossil fuels is causing the Earth to get warmer
The ENTIRE collection of resources provided by the BBC Library can be searched on ONE single, powerful search platform, which retrieves print books, eBooks, database articles and websites. Click HERE for assistance.
1. Use (Control + Find) to search for particular terms easily in a long document, whether from a website or a database article.
2. Use a Boolean command - put to limit and improve your results eg "energy drinks problems".
3. Use to search in Google for only pdf articles - "plastic pollution" filetype:pdf - will force Google to return results on plastic pollution which are pdf articles (PDFs are great sources sometimes deeply buried in Google results and remain unseen).
4. Use a Google command eg OR eg biodiesel site:edu
5. when it is not clear who the author / authority is, go to the end of the URL in the Google search box, cut back to the first forward slash (/) and hit 'Enter'. This will take you to the Home Page of the website, and you can see the full name of the source.
6. Use a Google command After you get your results, choose the Google Menu Bar, and choose 'Tools'. Then on the far left, at the drop-down menu next to 'Any Time', you can choose 'Within the last year' (or less, if you prefer), but generally, you can choose 'Custom Range' at the bottom, as often the last 3 years would be sufficient for a recent search.
Choose the sources you wish to evaluate. Save this document to your tablet, complete the evaluation of the sources (one per page) and print out to attach to the back of your assignment.
Scroll down to p. 4
ONESearch (on the left) will search through all these databases plus more, but sometimes it's simpler to just search one database at a time, so try these individual databases.
Currency: Timeliness of the information
|Relevance: Importance of the information for your needs
Authority: Source of the information
Accuracy: Reliability and correctness of the information
Purpose: Reason the information exists