The Ancient Celts ebook
Choose Chapter 9: Warfare and Society
Choose Chapter 4: Warfare.
Retrieved from Infobase database: https://online.infobase.com/Auth/Index?aid=106249&itemid=WE30&articleId=369153
CLASSICAL WRITERS WHO WROTE ABOUT THE CELTS
Publication Date: 2016
CLASSICAL WRITERS WHO WROTE ABOUT ROME
Livy (Titus Livius)
Conduct a Google search - eg 'Julius Caesar writer Roman warfare'
At only one period in Sparta's long history, in the late fourth and early third century BC, did the home of these grim warriors seem set to entrench itself as the dominant power in the Greek world. This period includes the latter stages of the Peloponnesian War from 412 BC to the Spartan victory in 402, and then down to the Spartan defeat by the Thebans at Leuctra in 371 BC, where it all began to unravel for the Spartan Empirern
Publication Date: 2017
Philip Matyszak explores two themes: how Sparta came to be the unique society it was, and the rise of the city from a Peloponnesian village to the military superpower of Greece. But above all, his focus is on the Spartan hoplite, the archetypal Greek warrior who was respected and feared throughout Greece in his own day, and who has since become a legend.
Publication Date: 2018
Universally admired in 479 BC, the Spartans were masters of the Greek world by 402 BC, only for their state to collapse in the next generation. What went wrong? Was the fall of Sparta inevitable? Philip Matyszak examines the political blunders and failures of leadership which combined with unresolved social issues to bring down the nation - even as its warriors remained invincible on the battlefield.
CLASSICAL WRITERS WHO WROTE ABOUT SPARTA
Alcman and Tyrtaeus
Conduct a Google search - eg 'Herodotus and Sparta'.
Weapons included Sagaris, Spear (Persian), Bow and Arrow (Persian), Chariot Scythe
CLASSICAL WRITERS WHO WROTE ABOUT PERSIA
Conduct a Google search eg 'Herodotus and Persia'.
The Mauryan And Gupta Empires - Unification and military - Khan Academy
Ancient Indian Warfare - scroll down to Mauryan Empire about half way down the page
Choose the excellent Chapter 2: 'A State Organised for War'.
War and carnage have filled the pages of Chinese history and clearly emerged as the required foundation for establishment of almost every major dynasty in Chinese history. There were hundreds of different types of cold weapons in ancient Chinese battlefields, with the most commonly used including bow, crossbow, sword , broad knife, spear, speargun, cudgel, battleaxe, battle spade, halberd, lance, whip, blunt sword, hammer, fork
CLASSICAL WRITERS WHO WROTE ABOUT ANCIENT CHINA
Also look for Sima Qian (Han Dynasty)
A soldier's life in Ancient Greece by Fiona Corbridge - Call Number: 355.00938 COR
Currency: Timeliness of the information
|Relevance: Importance of the information for your needs
Authority: Source of the information
Accuracy: Reliability and correctness of the information
Purpose: Reason the information exists
The ENTIRE collection of resources provided by the BBC Library can now be searched on ONE single, powerful search platform, which retrieves print books, eBooks, database articles and websites. Click HERE for assistance.
Google Books can be very frustrating because often much of the book is missing and you are expected to purchase it to read the full content. So after you put in your search term you are interested in (eg biodiesel), and get some results up, you should then go immediately to the (on the left - above 'About this box') and type in a particular word or term you are interested in (eg CO2 emissions OR methanol) you should get a number of pages pop up. Choose one that looks useful - you should get some good results this way!
MyBib is an online referencing generator to help you with in text references and your List of References.
Sign up for an account so that it will store the references for your assignment. Add it to your bookmark bar to find it quickly.
Install the Chrome extension to make your referencing even faster.
1. Use (Control + Find) to search for particular terms easily in a long document, whether from a website or a database article.
2. Use a Boolean command - put to limit and improve your results eg "energy drinks problems".
3. Use to search in Google for only pdf articles - "plastic pollution" filetype:pdf - will force Google to return results on plastic pollution which are pdf articles (PDFs are great sources sometimes deeply buried in Google results and remain unseen).
4. Use a Google command eg OR eg biodiesel site:edu
5. when it is not clear who the author / authority is, go to the end of the URL in the Google search box, cut back to the first forward slash (/) and hit 'Enter'. This will take you to the Home Page of the website, and you can see the full name of the source.
6. Use a Google command After you get your results, choose the Google Menu Bar, and choose 'Tools'. Then on the far left, at the drop-down menu next to 'Any Time', you can choose 'Within the last year' (or less, if you prefer), but generally, you can choose 'Custom Range' at the bottom, as often the last 3 years would be sufficient for a recent search.